That’s not a walleye?!

I know.  I know.  But catching Crappies can be fun this time of year, too.  Sons, Chris and Matt, joined me for a nice day of fishing at local Lake McBride Easter weekend 2009.  We were cozy in the Little Lund but caught lots of Crappies and some Stripers pulling crankbaits using my long rods to get the baits away from the boat.
Secret lure?  Rapala #5 and #7’s  running about 6-10 feet down.  I stumbled onto this bite a few years ago.  You can stay away from other boats anchored up or working the shorelines by trolling.  What color?  Look closer at the picture!!  Gary Speicher, NPAA #128

14 comments for “That’s not a walleye?!

1. Mopar
    March 16, 2010 at 3:40 am

The McBride walleyes are elusive! I don’t know if the DNR stocks McBride with priority r not but your more likely to catch cats more than anything.

2. Mopar
    March 16, 2010 at 12:10 am

3. March 16, 2010 at 3:56 am

I was told once that McBride doesn’t have sufficient spawning areas for successful walleye breeding…that they need more rock. But they’ve been adding rock in the form of shore-line rip rap over the course of the past decade so I don’t know at what point the environment will become ideal.

4. March 16, 2010 at 12:26 am

5. Nate W
    March 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I don’t think a lot of people are trying to catch them. Most of the guys I see out there are going after bass and crappie. Once in a great while you’ll see somebody with one hand on the rod while they’re watching the sonar so you know they’re vertical jigging.

6. Nate W
    March 16, 2010 at 10:57 am

7. DougB
    March 17, 2010 at 12:43 am

There’s walleyes in there but they’re hard to get unless you’re targeting them specifically. If you’re out there just throwing crankbaits don’t be surprised if you don’t catch walleyes. You might get one or two but you’re more likely to get a bass.

8. DougB
    March 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm

9. March 17, 2010 at 1:06 am

I think do the same thing (toss cranks) and expect the same thing. They’re definiltely in there, I’d just like to vertical jig over the creek begs…I think that’s where they’re at.

10. March 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm

11. March 17, 2010 at 2:02 am

Hi, Mopar, Nate, Doug, and Mike! Thanks for your posts. I’ve got one great pic from Russ Havlik who has got the walleye crankbait bite down on Lake McBride. I’ll see if Mike can scan the pic and we’ll get posted on the site soon. I called the DNR office Sunday and they expect to get the docks in down there in a couple weeks. I’ve not driven down to see where the water level is following the fall drawdown. Keep the information flowing on how you do on the water, guys!

12. March 16, 2010 at 9:02 pm

13. Matt
    March 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Wont be long and that crappie bite will be here !

14. Matt
    March 17, 2010 at 8:51 am

Wont be long and that crappie bite will be here !